Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 10:14:55 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), pusateri@juniper.net, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NogaTech PCMCIA video cards

> > FWIW, a PCMCIA camera has *TONS* more bandwidth and *TONS* less
>
> good to hear that. but just for curiosity, how much more bw ? I guess
> the ISA bus tops at some 4Mbyte/s, a 33 MHz, 32-bit PCI bus can do 133
> Mbytes/s during burst transfers, and 320x240x30fps YUV16 video should
> be around 5MB/s.

Well, given that the MAXIMUM BW from a parallel port device is 115K,
there is alot more bandwidth on the PCMCIA bus.

> > We used a parallel port camera for awhile, but the performance and load
> > on the system became so bad that we were forced to switch to a PCMCIA
> > camera, which works much nicer.  (Note, this is under Win95, but the
> > hardware issues are the same as in FreeBSD.)
>
> well for the paraller port thing, a poor driver can make a lot of
> difference.

True, but I'm using the driver supplied by the QuickCam folks.  It works
pretty well, but in comparison to the PCMCIA card it was night/day.
Remember that a parallel port version creates and interrupt/byte (or
maybe more), and the PCMCIA does not.

The PCMCIA bus might not have enough bandwidth, but if so then there's
*NO* way you're going to get enough bandwidth since it's the fastest
'bus' you would have available on the hardware. :(

Nate