Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:05:13 -0700
From:      Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
To:        Oliver Paulzen <opp@MuFFiN.Org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to power down librettos' disk

Oliver Paulzen writes:
    Is there a way to manually shut down the disk of my Libretto 50ct (or
    any other IDE drive)?
    It's not done automatically, even with a very high kern.update-time
    and no power plugged in.

Manual shut down is sort of in the works, as I understand (and hope).

Part of the problem, from my experience, is that there are daemons
writing to the disk at regular, frequent intervals that destroy any hope
of actually having the disk spin down for decent time period anyhow.
For example, cron writes out everything it attempts to run, and it
inkvokes atrun every 5 minutes (I backed that off a fair amount, which
may have helped).

On the other hand, I find it improbable that I can have the disk spin
down and still do useful work.  Between MH keeping every message in
a separate file, and my own habit of saving files after every minor
change, it is only the occassional multi-page document that even gives
the machine a chance to spin down.