Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:11:01 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

> > You're not demonstrating the symptoms.
>
> I really don't think so and you have resorted to the lowest rational
> and immature level -- time to get some sleep 8)

Could be.  Bear in mind that as part of what I "do for the Project" I
spend a lot of time chasing things like this; I don't tend to make more
noise about it than I can justify, but I do tend to be offended when
people that are clearly doing nothing tell me that effectively I'm not
doing my job.

Why do I spend so much time asking for "owners" for particular issues?

Why, for example, given our not insubstantial userbase, is nobody
willing to sit down with a couple dozen commercial Linux applications
and list the ones that do and don't work, and try to make educated
guesses about why so that we can either help them with directed fixes,
or file records as to why we can't support the app?

Where are all these "advocates" that supposedly think FreeBSD is so
great?  Why aren't they helping us?  Bastards. 8) 8) 8)

> > > Curious , what are the reasons that the UDI project is preferring to do the
> > > UDI implementation on Linux ?
> >
> > Mindshare.  There are more rabid Linux fans in the right places than
> > there are FreeBSD fans.  The decision to use Linux wasn't reached out
> > of any considered or rational process, rather it was siezed on as the
> > "only" free platform to do the reference implementation to.
>
> Now this is good stuff and is very tempting to intervene.

If you're willing to champion the issue, please do.  Start with the
Project UDI homepage (http://www.sco.com/udi), and prepare an open
letter to them.  Get it into the FreeBSD quickie newsletter, and
perhaps elsewhere.  Don't rail about how a BSD license would be better
- instead make it clear that the reference implementation shouldn't be
encumbered by the GPL as it will hinder its incorporation into other
systems.  Encourage them to consider the BSD kernel as an alternative,
or to publish without including any GPL code in their reference.

These people will respond well to "this approach will promote UDI
better".  They will not respond well to "Linux has cooties".