Date:      	Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:59:19 -0400
From:      David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
To:        cracauer@cons.org (Martin Cracauer)
Cc:        nialls@euristix.ie, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quick code style question.

 > > Surely it would be much better if these were either protected by a
 > > _NETDB_INTERNAL_ macro or moved into a separate header in lib/libc/net.
 > > Which of these two is preferable?
 >
 > Not speaking for the FreeBSD project and not commenting on your
 > getservent() changes, I think the macros would do.

Likewise, but I'd say make a private header file. Private interfaces
should not be publically available. Otherwise next year someone who
wants to change the interface will discover some bonehead application
#defining __NETDB_INTERNAL__.

 > On the technical side, the macro solution is also better because it
 > easily supports more than two levels of visibility and it is easy to
 > raise or lower the level of visibilty from inside another header
 > file or on the compiler command line.

This, in my view, is the chief reason not to do it. :-)

--
   - David A. Holland             | (please continue to send non-list mail to
     dholland@cs.utoronto.ca      | dholland@hcs.harvard.edu. yes, I moved.)