Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:31:34 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba and IPFW

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 at 15:16 SAT, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I've been having some difficulty getting Samba to work with packet
> filtering turned on.

Not being au fait with the intricacies of SMB, I can only offer a "shotgun
debugging" tip:

Add a line at the end of your ipfw ruleset to log everything that's not been
explicitly allowed or denied up to that point:
  $fwcmd add deny log ip from any to any

Then play with SMB under various circumstances, and see what packets are
denied (and logged to the console).

I'm afraid, though, that from what little I know, you are going to need some
fairly permissive rules.  :-(

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878