Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 20:58:08 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>, Christopher Nielsen <enkhyl@hayseed.net>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_C=2E_Sm=F8rgrav_?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD3.0-BETA crash!

On Sun, Oct 04, 1998 at 05:31:29PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
> No idea.  I have SEVERAL TIMES done a "rm -r /usr/src;cd /usr; cvs co
> src; cd src; make world" and had it blow up in EXACTLY the same place over
> the last few months.

I have a similar problem. It's been going on for a while now so it must
be something local, but when make world hits secure/lib/libcrypt, it blows
up. I haven't been able to make it blow up without using make world no
matter how I tried so I actually gave up and ran the last few make worlds
with -DNOCRYPT. But while we're on the subject, perhaps someone can identify
what may be set to cause the problem:

===> lib/../secure/lib/libcrypt
"Makefile", line 8: Malformed conditional (${BINFORMAT} != elf)
"Makefile", line 11: if-less else
"Makefile", line 11: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 14: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 14: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 24: Malformed conditional (${BINFORMAT} == elf)
"Makefile", line 24: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 26: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 26: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 43: Malformed conditional (!defined(NOPIC) && defined(SHLIB_MAJOR) && ${BINFORMAT} == elf)
"Makefile", line 49: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 49: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Like I said, it compiles fine any which way I try it, but when make world
does it, it dies. *sigh*

--
  / Nathan Dorfman \  / "`IE4 brings the web to UNIX'? *laughing*