Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 18:44:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gram@cdsec.com (Graham Wheeler)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New inetd.c

Nice work with the signal fixes!

> * a new argument, -X, has been added. If this argument is used, the
> 	entries in inetd.conf (or whatever config file is used) are
> 	expected to have an additional initial field, which is the
> 	address to bind to. A value of `any' will be equivalent to
> 	the normal behaviour of binding to INADDR_ANY. This provides
> 	similar functionality to the normal -a argument, but with
> 	a much finer granularity. It is intended for use in multi-homed
> 	hosts which have different services available on different
> 	interfaces. You can check all the changes that were made to
> 	support this by grepping for the `extended_format' flag in
> 	the source.

I think this duplicates the combination of the "-a" combined with
a "configuration file" argument?  This isn't a bad idea, but there
are things to be said for seperate configuration files, especially
for split service models (i.e.:, you HUP one inetd and not another,
and you can safely use something like "sed" to modify the file
contents without worrying about enabling/disabling on the wrong
interface.

I would be very interested in a binding of the type:

	ed0:192.168.1.1
	ed1:192.168.1.1

actually.  This would be useful for things like "inline" VPN
machines, where the interface uses one address and by being ganged
inline, "just works"... For the most part, the IP address is used
to select an interface, more often than not, so it's the binding
to an interface that's interesteing, and the IP address less so.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.