Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 07:47:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        vega vega <vega1@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: setting up ethernet interface

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, vega vega wrote:

> school, i cant get a connection to the dhcp server to
> get my static ip

You mean dynamic IP, right?  Static IP and DHCP are contradictory. :)

> i know the ip's of the nameservers, i don't know the
> gateway address, and my card is some generic kingston
> (uses the de driver)

You shouldn't need to know the address of the gateway; the DHCP client
will discover that automatically.

> setting up on this network re1quires me to get a
> temporary ip (which i also dont know, since it is
> just an arbitrary one to get me to the dhcp server).
> with this temp ip i connect to the dhcp server on the
> web and register to get my permanent ip.

I'm not sure I'm following that...

> the problem is, i cant connect to the dhcp server. i
> have been to Studded's page that deals with that that
> but when i commented out the line in rc.conf that
> sets up the de0 device, dhclient wont find it anymore

That sounds kind of weird.  I'm using a cable modem at home, which uses
DHCP as well.  Here's how I'm set up:

I have a network interface, vx0 (3Com 3C590), but I removed it from the
"network_interfaces" line in /etc/rc.conf, so it just reads like this:

network_interfaces="lo0"        # List of network interfaces (lo0 is loopback).

Then, at startup, dhclient runs and looks for a DHCP server.  It takes a
minute or so, but it does find one on the RoadRunner network, and then it
gets my IP and gateway.  It would also get the nameserver addresses, but
I've already got those in my /etc/resolv.conf, and I just commented the
lines out of dhclient-script that would normally modify my resolv.conf.
While the DHCP client is in the process of finding the DHCP server, if you
were to do an ifconfig -a, you should see that your ethernet interface has
an IP of 0.0.0.0.  Then once you get the IP, you should see a real IP when
you do ifconfig -a again.

How are you calling dhclient?  I'm calling mine out of /etc/rc.local at
startup, with the following command line:

  /sbin/dhclient vx0 &

The & is there so that rc.local will continue processing, rather than
waiting for dhclient to get an IP before going on.  You'd of course
replace "vx0" with your "de0".

Hope this helps some!