Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:23:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV
Cc:        tlt@tltodd.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape Communicator 4.07 for Linux20

> If memory serves me right, Terry Todd wrote:

> > > I haven't heard anyone say you couldn't.  Just make sure you have the
> > > linux emulator loaded and have the latest library pack installed...
>
> I regularly run the Linux version of Communicator 4.07 with US encryption in
> emulation (on 2.2.7-RELEASE).  Works very nicely, although my machine tends to
> swap a bit more than it would otherwise, due to the need to keep both Linux
> and BSD libraries in memory.
>
> > Or better yet why not just go to Netscape's ftp site and get 4.08
> > netscape for FreeBSD.
>
> One "why not" for me, anyways, is that there's no such thing as a US
> encryption release for FreeBSD, and for some work I do, that's a "must have".
>
> (Rant on encryption politics omitted...)

Pipe any exportable netscape 4.0x through the following program and
you get strong encryption. That's what I do always with the 40-bit
versions for HP-UX, FreeBSD, IRIX, SunOS and even Winblows. It keeps
me from having to wait until fortify comes out...

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -0pi
s/BITS:.*/$_=$&;y,a-z, ,;s, {4}$,true,gm;s, 512,2048,;$_/es

        -Andre

P.S.: This thing was not developed by me, it was posted to the list
      a while ago :-)