Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:38:32 +0900
From:      FreeBSD4Me <fbsd@typhoon.co.jp>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: turnkey floppy for large number of installations

Steve Friedrich wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:47:09 -0800 (PST), Doug White wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, FreeBSD4Me wrote:
> >
> >> I want to create a turnkey/customized boot floppy so that
> >> ANY ONE can install FreeBSD by just inserting the floppy and
> >> the CDROM, without answering any questions.
>
> Why would this be a "good" idea ??  Is everyone going to be using the
> *same* type machine ??  Same video board?  This concept of "one idiot
> button install" has a LOT of drawbacks for the end-user.  And they'll
> blame FreeBSD.org, not you!

Yes, everyone will be using the EXACT SAME hardware.

We're installing, on average one-per-month,  FreeBSD-based servers
for our customers to do mail/web-browsing/SAMBA-file-sharing.
As most of these customers do not know anything about sys adm, I want
to give them an automated recovery/reinstall tool.

So far, we're pleased to see uptimes of 180days or above!  Customers
are happy with the performance, etc.  Nonetheless, there were concerns
that even if they know how to replace say a failed HD, they wouldn't know
how to reinstall the OS and restore backed-up data.

Thanks to those who responded, I now realize I can do this with a sysinstall

script file.  Even when a customer has a slight bigger hard disk, we can
just
change the vale in the script file for that particular installation.

> You certainly have a lot of gall, using FreeBSD in your email id.

I hope it won't pose a legal problem!

> Couldn't you be more creative??

I'll try.

FreeBSD4Me