Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:53:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ryan Ziegler <ziggy@wopr.inetu.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Subject:   Re: Documentation upgrade: where are the other humans?

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> You know, I've often wondered why, given that there are people
> who will code for the fun of it, why none of the Free Software
> projects have crossed disciplines.
>
> You'd think that there would be English Majors and/or Technical
> Writers who would write documentation for the fun of it, and
> Marketing people who would do marketing for the fun of it, and
> Graphic Artists who would do commercial art for the fun of it...

When not getting paid, programmers tend to code what they find
interesting. We can say the same thing for writers when writing. I would
say technical documentation is not the most exciting literary form, nor
are the arguments for kmem_free() the most exciting subject matter.

What we need are technical writers who feel a severe allegiance to
FreeBSD.

> Are programmers the only people who enjoy what they intend to make
> their life's work?

No, but if you enjoy programming, society definately rewards.

> Maybe it's just that the majority of people are too busy sitting
> on their butts hacking code in cave-like computer labs to talk
> to people in other departments on campus?

You're not suggesting that we're a tad clannish, are you? :)