Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 12:58:50 -0600
From:      "Brian C. Grayson" <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
To:        David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>, Kevin Van Maren <vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk-wait problems/hangs

On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 11:35:53AM -0700, David G Andersen wrote:
> We've been experiencing the same problems; on this end, it looked like the
> problem was possibly related to amd/nfs.  We're running in a NIS
> environment with heavy AMD and NFS usage; disabling things like SMP didn't
> solve the problem, but disabling AMD did.  Our solution was to back AMD
> out to the pre-aug-23 integration of the a16 version; another person has
> upgraded theirs to the latest b1 release.  (We tried the upgrade, but it
> didn't solve the problem).

  We are not running amd on these machines -- only NFS and NIS.

  FWIW, I've noticed that on other machines running NetBSD,
amd-6.0a16 misbehaves (or just plain doesn't work!), so it's
not just FreeBSD (not surprising), and it's not just SMP.
6.0a13 works fine for us, and NetBSD skipped over a14 and a15,
I believe.

> We're trying to get a crashdump of the hang, but after the AMD backout,
> it's become difficult to reproduce.

  Are you sure it's a real hang?  Once, ypbind got stuck in
'D', which meant that just about everything was impossible to
do (no more logins, "ls" hangs, etc.).  To verify, log in as root
on another tty before initiating the netscape.  Also, never run
any command without backgrounding it, otherwise if that command
gets hung in 'D', your tty is unusable, as things in 'D' don't
catch signals.  In other words, "ls &", "df &", "ps -ax &".
The output is messy, but that's the price for keeping the tty alive!

  Our machine doesn't really hang, it's just that more and more
processes go into 'D' and stay there.  Eventually one runs out
of ttys, and a critical daemon gets stuck in 'D'.  Maybe if we
were doing something more intensive than a single interactive
shell, it would cause a hang!

  Brian
--
Student:  "How is Q(x,0) defined at x = 0?"
Ken Richardson: "Just blow off 0."