Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:16:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        rivers@dignus.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

According to Thomas David Rivers:

>  Ah then... seems like putting a uname in /compat/linux might be
>  the way to go...  You mentioned it was the install program, right;
>  does it run the uname command?  In my case, the license manager was
>  call the uname() system function...

It's uname(1) in the install script.  The license manager was a whole
other problem ;-)

>  Perhaps you can follow that route?  i.e. ask them what they do with the
>  uname....  point out that it may not be that useful anyway...

They use "uname -s" to determine if you are running i386 linux or
i386 solaris.  They use "uname -n" to determine the machine name for
automatic registeration of their product and license management.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html