Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 10:51:03 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some timestamps in CAM for syslog missing, is it possible ?

On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 12:53:49PM -0700, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> Andreas Klemm wrote...
>
> It looks like the retension timeout is too short for your drive.   Go into
> sys/cam/scsi/scsi_sa.c, and in the function saretension(), adjust the
> timeout in the scsi_load_unload() function call to something that is
> more likely to work with your drive.
>
> The units are thousandths of a second, so 60000 == 1 minute.
>
> Once you find a reasonable minimum time for the retension command on your
> tape drive, send mail back to the SCSI list again, so we can perhaps adjust
> the default timeout.

Hi Kenneth,

thanks for your fast response.

A Tandberg TDC 4222 with 2.5 GB Magnus Tapes needs about
	4:09 minutes for mt erase and
	4:05 minutes for a mt retension operation

So I think 5 minutes (300000) would be a good default.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?