Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:38:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@netaxs.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        elias@cnetworks.net, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG, green@unixhelp.org, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern_clock.c (was: video mode switching has gone south)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Bruce Evans wrote:

<> It actually sleeps for an average of about half a second.
<>
<> Everything that uses get{micro,nano}{,up}time (mainly timeouts) is broken
<> because the time reported by these functions now lags the actual time
<> by up to about 1 second.
<>
<> Ignore the `force' flag to go back to the previous brokenness which
<> affects relatively few systems.
<>
<> Bruce

After running a kernel compiled with kern_clock.c revision 1.85 I
noticed some problems:

Switching to X is sluggish and takes a few seconds where it used to be
almost instantaneous.

While running X, xlock's screen savers slow down to a crawl, and hitting
a key to stop the screen saver can take up to ten seconds.

I run xntpd, and got a large amount of "the previous time adjustment
did not complete" errors.

My system is running a Cyrix 686MX PR266, so this doesn't seem to be
limited to the AMD processors.

Applying the patch to ignore the 'force' flag seems to have cleared
this up. Can anything "bad" happen using this patch? Is there a better
solution in the works?