Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 07:27:22 +0100
From:      "Martin Husemann" <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
To:        "Gary Jennejohn" <garyj@muc.de>, <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ITK Support

I wrote:
> >No, no real problems if (a) the interface to the card is
> documented, (b) the
> >interface is reasonable and (c) the card behaves like the docs promise.

Gary answered:
> the real problem is that a lot of active cards require a CAPI interface,
> which we do not have (yet).

This is an example of violating (b) above - IMHO.

The idea goes back to the DOS days: a CAPI was required as user-land
interface, and implementing it in a TSR costed precious memory. So they've
put all of the CAPI stuff onto the card (where memory could be added as
needed).

Nowadays even a windows driver can waste a hundreds of kByte code without
any bad effect on the system as a whole - so the interface to the card
should be as simple as possible, not on user-land application level like
CAPI.

I like the (old) EICON.Diehl cards for having such a reasonable (and well
documented) interface, yet it doesn't give all the debugging information I'd
like to have, so I still don't know why it drops the called party number on
a setup request...

Martin