Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:21:38 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CERT CA-98-13, patch needed

Guido van Rooij writes:
 > On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 04:49:28PM +0300, ark@eltex.ru wrote:
 > >
 > > nuqneH,
 > >
 > > BTW what about 2.1.7.1? Its ip_input.c has major differences..
 > >                                      _     _  _  _  _      _  _
 >
 > This system is so old that you should consider upgrading anyway.
 > Anyway, the patch should be applied there too (and it applies cleanly).

Newer versions break down on many older machines, everything gets bus erros
and init dies.  I have one 386 which fails in this way and I have seen
someone else reporting the same problem on lists.  Not a major problem for
me, as my problem host is only a home router doing nothing else but routing
a single 57.6k serial link (and it only runs sshd).  I can use linux or
netbsd on that if 2.1.7.1 rots too badly.  Of course I would not like to
lift a finger before I absolutely must do something about it, as it has
been working perfectly for years apart the unhappy attempt to upgrade it to
2.2*.  If I touch it it will break down completely, as the system consists
of very old swedish-british 386 with lots of patch wire in a wide-open
configuration laying on table with cables going all directions, separate
power supply which also runs my Sun 3/60 disk, and collection of random ISA
cards for serial and two ethernets :)

 > -Guido

Heikki Suonsivu / Clinet Oy / Tekniikantie 12 / FI-02150 Espoo / FINLAND,
hsu@clinet.fi mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276