Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 19:35:48 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This just in: Microsoft/Sears Merger

At 11:58 PM 12/23/98 +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
>According to Drew Baxter:
>> handle the haul.  As it goes I think Windows has a 'socket limit' as far as
>> how many open connections it can have inbound or outbound.  Pretty inane if
>> you ask me.
>
>It was only in one of beta of NT4. The limitation is now only in the
>Licence (after much lobbying from Tim O'Reilly -- yes, that O'Reilly guy)
>and is pretty much the sum of the differences between NTS and NTW (there
>are differences in how the OS is tuned but the code is the same).

Yeah I've noticed that the options it comes with for software is really the
difference between NT Workstation and NT Server.  If you take a look inside
the service packs and all it looks that way too..

The speed problem is probably because the GUI takes up too much system
resources on its own.  Ironically if you could combine NT's networking with
Win95's OS, it'd probably be a little more tolerable.  But then again, that
would ruin one of the selling features of Alternative OSes..

The whole relational speed thing alone boggles my mind.. Why someone would
want to go get NT for a simple web server when they could do it for free,
and with less of a machine.  I think maybe some of it lies in "if it's
free, it probably isn't any good." or "Where's the support?"..  Maybe the
introduction of FreeBSD Mall will fix this some..

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D