Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 13:43:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ports collection?

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Hidetoshi Shimokawa wrote:

# I tried to build packages on alpha. Here is the result
# (after fpsetmask impremented).
# The figures represent the number of packages included in the directory.
# The numbers include the useless packages, for example, netscape
# for FreeBSD/i386.

[list of ports know to work removed]

# I have not checked the reason of failure for all, but
# common reasons are:
#
# - dependency on i386 binary (qt etc.)
# - time_t conflicts (long vs int)
# - require machine/soundcard.h (most of auido ports)
#
# - tcl cannot be compiled without fpsetmask (many depedent ports)
# (I implemeted it, but to make it work correctly, we need to set compile option)

Wow, this is good stuff.  Are you using the traditional
build technique or some variant of Satoshi's parallel
build scripts?

BTW, have any of your fixes been incorporated?  I've missed
them if they have.

Since, Satoshi was cc'd on this maybe we should start to think
about a BROKEN_ALPHA a 'la BROKEN_ELF?

# I think I can help to work on ports for alpha, My machine is EB166 (666MHz)

Got a spare one of these? :)  Seriously is this a machine
that you could (mostly) dedicate to building Alpha packages?
What kind of connectivity to *.freebsd.org do you have?  If
it is pretty good maybe we could set something up to ship the
packages over to one of Satoshi's build machines.  The ultimate
would be to have an Alpha machine among Satoshi's arsenal
that could build a new package tree every couple of days,
but beggars can't be choosers as the old saying goes. :)

Satoshi,

Could we start a fledgling package tree for Alpha with the
ones Shimokawa-san already has?

-steve

# /\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
# \/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp