Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 10:04:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6-2 (3?) CPU_WT_ALLOC

On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> Can anyone else using this patch speak up about their experiences?
> It'd be good to see it committed, but I have no hardware on which to
> test it...

In a dmesg, if this line looks as such:
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping=12
where Id = 0x58X, this is a K6-2 model 8/[F:8]+, or on Id = 0x59X a K6-3 (just
guessing here, but I think it'll be right :) in which case enable_K6_2_wt_alloc
will be called rather than enable_K6_wt_alloc. So for K6-2 machines, the
(cpu_id & 0xff0) > 0x570 will be the enabling variable, and the new wt_alloc
routine will take effect; if anyone wants to test this out (actually, to use it
permanently really!) try it on a K6-2 described as above. If anyone does need
to check my work, look for doc 21326e on www.amd.com, "Implementation of Write
Allocation in the K86 Processors", where the WHCR differences between models
are fully defined.

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

 Brian Feldman						  _ __  ___ ___ ___