Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:45:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wanton Atticizing is bad

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 1998 at 12:54:28PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > In message <68621.914783144@critter.freebsd.dk> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> > > Make DEVFS standard.
> >
> > I'd love to see this happen, but there are problems with the current
> > DEVFS which makes it impossible to use with CAM.  It can't handle
> > devices comeing and going at interrupt time, which is how CAM does
> > probing and device removal.
>
> Julian claimed to have fixed this (but not yet committed the fixes) at
> the time phk and sos last bloodied their axes (by murdering the
> partially working version of SLICE).

More truthfully, I was working on getting it to work with CAM.
and had created a kernel thread to take charge of such events as
new devices appearing, and the creation of the new nodes.

I hadn't committed anything because I was waiting for cam to be imported.
but surprise surprise. my code was deleted before CAM made it in..