Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:05:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Evgeny Roubinchtein <eroubinc@u.washington.edu>
To:        fbsdqs <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Two X servers at once

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

>Spike Gronim writes:
>>Hello.
>>
>>	I normally run my X server at 32 bpp, and Quake2 looks strange and
>>greenish at this color depth. So, I'd like to be able to Ctr-Alt-F1 to my
>>first virtual terminal, startx a new 8 bpp X server, and run quake. When I
>>try this, the following is reported:
>>
>>PigStuy# startx -- :1
>>
>>_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
>>_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
>>
>>Fatal server error:
>>Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already r
>>unning
>>
>>When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
>>the full server output, not just the last messages
>>
>>^Cxinit:  unexpected signal 2
>>PigStuy# exit
>>
>>How can I run this program that needs an 8 bit display and keep my nice 32
>>bpp display? Thanks.
>>

>try Xnest

Hmm, but the man for Xnest says it "won't work well on servers supporting
different visual depth".  I just tried "startx -- :1 -bpp 8 vt9" on my
system, already runing a server at 16 bpp on vt8, and it seemed to work OK
(FreeBSD 2.2.8 -- the one on vt8 runs under XDM, but I don't think that
should matter  -- I tried both from a virtual tty and from an xterm). A
silly thought, but isn't  ':' special to csh and friends? Might it need to
be escaped or quoted? (root's shell is csh "out of the box", afaik).

--
Evgeny Roubinchtein, eroubinc@u.washington.edu
IBM: Itty Bitty Machines