Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 18:18:46 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Joe Gleason <clash@tasam.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE hot plugging (was: IDE Antics)

Hi,

> On Thursday, 31 December 1998 at 11:59:36 -0500, Joe Gleason wrote:
> > Right now I have a server with 4 ide drives.  I want to unmount and remove the
> > two that are on the secondary chain, preferably while the box is up.
> > I have the drives in those cool little dataport things that allows me to just
> > slide them out.
> >
> > If I never do anything to /dev/wd2 or /dev/wd3 will the system ever discover
> > they are not there anymore and crash?
> >
> > Note: I don't really need to do this, I am just wondering what will happen.
>
> Some drives need to be jumpered differently for `alone' and `master'.
> If your drives are of this kind, you lose.  One way or the other,
> though, I'd expect them to crash.  I'm sure that hot plugging is way
> down on the list of priorities for the IDE ``standard''.

We do exactly this many times a week (some weeks).  the 'alone' vs.
master/slave thing is not an issue since both drives are on the same chain.
We do it to clone ide drives for products. Be sure to:

Power/boot the machine with both drives in place, strapped as master & slave.
mount manually after drives are installed & powered.
unmount manually before drives are unpowered.
Never use drives of different make/model in same slot between boots.
As you said, never access either drive while they are removed/unpowered.
This will lock the machine (although I have successfully recovered from
this by replacing the drive and powering it up, probably dumb luck!).
We've done this at least a 100 times so far without failure.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by