Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 14:40:50 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: different X resolution as root or non-root

mwlucas@exceptionet.com wrote:

> Well, I rather foolishly touched a working system by buying a new
> motherboard, video card, etc.  I installed my -current drive in this
> machine and, to my surprise, everything worked.
>
> My X setup had to be changed, of course.  Now, when I run startx as root,
> it works perfectly.  When I run startx as a non-root user, it comes up in
> 320x200.
>
> Any thoughts?  I assume I'm missing something fairly basic...

When running as non-root can you cycle through the resolutions using
``Ctrl-Alt-+'' and ``Ctrl-Alt--'' (that's the plus or minus keys)?.

Also try renaming the .xinitrc in the non-root user's home dir and
cp'ing the one from root's home dir. If that works look for the
differences in the file.

> Regards,
> ml
>
> --
> Michael Lucas                   |
> Exceptionet, Inc.               |       www.exceptionet.com
> "Exceptional Networking"        |

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com