Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:04:58 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psm0 on laptops.

At 06:00 PM 1/6/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> Alright, so I'm assuming a bunch of crap.  The bottom line is the PS/2
>> ports don't like to be hot plugged, because the BIOS checks for the devices
>> upon bootup.  If you've ever seen a Packard Bell (amongst other machines)
>> it shows "keyboard detected, mouse detected' during the initial startup,
>> that determines if the computer has them or not right then and there...
>
>Perfect.  FreeBSD doesn't use the BIOS for this stuff.

Alright, so it does probing on bootstrap?  So what? that means if it's
there it's there, if it's not its not. Same principle.  Besides I do have a
few boards that won't even register the mouse ports existance (I believe my
Shuttle HOT-557 1.5 does this) unless there is a device attached to it.
Makes sense, the PS/2 port is an 'optional component' you have to buy for
10 bucks.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D