Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:26:23 +0100 (MET)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        usb-bsd@egroups.com
Subject:   Re: [usb-bsd] Re: Hand needed: debugging the USB mouse driver

[thanks for all the info]

 > The level 0 is "compatibility level."  The drivers stick to the
 > The level 1 is "sysmouse level".  8 byte sysmouse protocol is used in
 > The level 2 is called "native level."  Currently only the psm driver
 >
 > The FreeBSD USB mouse driver should at least implement the level 0 and
 > 1 operation.  If there already is an sort of accepted data format for
 > the USB mouse, that should be used for the level 0.  The level 1 must
 > use the sysmouse protocol.
 >
 > (The level 0 may use the sysmouse protocol too, if there doesn't seem
 > to be the De facto standard yet.  The OSes may choose to implement the
 > sysmouse protocol too, if it suits them.)

At the moment level 0 is PS/2 (3 buttons, 2 directions) and I tried to
get the third direction working.

But it makes sense to push that into level two. This means however that
we need multiple encoding routines.

Probably best is to use sysmouse at level 0 & 1 and support both levels?

Nick
--
ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy