Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:44:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emulating solaris

>  > when i run:
>  > bash# kldload /modules/svr4.ko
>  > My machine reboots.
> Oops.
> You're using an ELF kernel, I trust (you must, because you got 3.0-current
> on Monday).  Check OBJFORMAT in /sys/compile/KERNELNAME/Makefile just to
> be sure, though.  I do remember that modules in general used to crash
> a.out kernels back in the days when a.out kernels were actually used...

The first install was from 3.0 -current last  week a monday.  cvsuped on
monday.  Then tried to install.

> My -current machine is presently awaiting a new disk which should, uh,
> "make it more useful" (the disk should be arriving today;  I'll make
> time to install it over the weekend).  I hope to be able to help you
> out more then.

Thanks.  I did a buildworld just to make sure and it still crashed my box.
It may be a problem with my install.  I don't have a cd-rom on the box so
mounted the cd-rom from my sparc box....if that matters....  I will
attempt to just copy the contents over to the /cdrom directory.....

>  > I hand made the directory then did make install
>  > because it kept makeing just modules file in the root directory.
>  > It then made a svr4.ko within the module directory.
>  > This is on 3.0-current from off the net on monday.
> The fact that /modules didn't exist already leads me to believe that
> perhaps you haven't done a "make world" since you grabbed -current
> (since /modules *should* be in the mtree file that make world uses).
> I don't expect the emulator to work at all if you haven't done a "make
> world" and then built a kernel.  Could it be that you're still running
> an old release even though you have -current sources?

did a cvs and build world just to make sure.

> Which release did you have before you grabbed -current?

none.  Fresh install on a test box to see if I could get the Solaris
version of the Lotus notes client working so I can help with the
development of the sparc port.  Has anyone reported lotus notes is
working?

>  >  Can someone help or give me a correct module.
>  > I followed the diretions and did the patches.
> I'll check it out when I get the -current box up and running.

Sounds great....I'll make sure its not the mounting the cd-rom from the
sparc problem.

>  > I'm trying to get Lotus
>  > notes client on Freebsd that was made for sun
> Hmm, that could be interesting.  Bear in mind that the emulator is
> still in early days, though.

Yeah...but from what I've heard and seen it's nothing more than perl adnd
a web interface that looks like a *REAL* application.

Thanks for your help.

JOHN