Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:16:46 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.interworks.org>
Cc:        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rpj@fep.hirshfields.com
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD *ever* fix their 2940U drivers ???????????????

"Daniel M. Eischen" wrote:

> The poster (rpj@fep.hirshfields.com) said that he could take the
> controller, cable, and drive out of one machine and place them
> in another machine (assumingly with a different motherboard?)
> and they would work.  To me, this shows that it isn't the driver,
> but some interaction of the motherboard/BIOS and either the
> controller or FreeBSD.

Beleive me, it's a lot more than just the firmware on the card... We're also a
heavy user of 2940's (and have had problems), I was speaking to some one a
while ago (who also has a lot of these cards) about doing some kind of 2940
FAQ - The problem is though that between us, although we have around 20 cards
- we can't find anything that Identifies the problem ones (be that
Motherboard, or 2940's) uniquely enough to make a FAQ any good, all it could
be at best is "There are problems with some cards, and some motherboards".

If I get time, I'll get back in touch with the guy and at least get some kind
of 'truth' table published somewhere (i.e. adaptec firmware, MB, BIOS
versions, Revisions etc. - Maybe someone else will see a correlation...)

-Kp