Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:44:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Saving some info in PicoBSD

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Reinier Bezuidenhout wrote:

> Hi ...

> > > Easy, easy... Let's try to look around before we jump to conclusions (or
> > > even implementations.. ;). 10 points to anyone who will tell me what the
> > > /stand/update is for.
> >
> > Ehm, it updates MFS configfiles to disk? =)
>
> When does /stand/update get called then ??? I copied rc.conf in the

Explicitely - never. You have to do it manually.

> /etc directory to another file in the /etc directory .. say oops.conf.
>
> I then press ctr-alt-del and it says "syncing ...." but on a reboot
> the file is gone ... shouldn't /stand/update then be called during
> a reboot ???

No, because it's possible that you removed the startup floppy from the
drive, or replaced it with some other. "syncing.." means the system is
writing dirty buffers from memory to MFS, so in this case it doesn't buy
you anything.

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"