Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:14:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/examples/svr4 README compat_sol26.tar.

Peter Wemm wrote:

> Umm, John, we already have a precedent here..  We've got a uuencoded
> ibcs2 'Hello world' binary.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

And it's moot anyway with respect to what I did.  The commits needed
to be backed out for other reasons.  They were binary files, not
uuencoded, and not checked in with "-kb".  You don't need me to
explain the problem with that.

> I personally feel that a statically linked 'yes, it worked' SVR4 ELF
> binary would be useful.

I don't think it belongs in our source tree.

Look:  I took responsibility for correcting what I judged to be a
problem in the repository that required swift remedial action.  That
is exactly what I am expected and authorized to do, and I stand behind
my decision and my actions.  If you feel the need to second-guess
and/or undo my changes after the fact, well, go ahead -- you have
seniority.
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken