Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 18:02:59 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        Rene de Vries <rene@canyon.demon.nl>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100baseTX problems with the DE500 ethernet card

Wilko Bulte wrote:

> As Rene de Vries wrote...
>
> > The DE500 driver seems to have problems switching from 10baseT/UTP to
> > 100baseTX. During boot the card (somehow) switches to 10baseT/UTP (shown on
> > console as "de0: enabling 10baseT port" and verified by watching the HUP
>
> If it makes you any happier: same thing here on one of my Alpha machines.
> My K6/266 seems to connect at 100Mbit all the time. My other Alpha
> (the axppci33) has a SRM console that recognises the DE500 and FreeBSD
> goes 100mbit without troubles on that one.
>
> > (switching one of its LEDs off)). When ifconfig 192.168.x.x media 100baseTX is
> > run the console log shows "de0: enabling 100baseTX port", but the HUP does not
> > seem to switch back to 100MBits. The same hardware and Win95 seem to work
> > though. When I disconnect/reconnect the machine and the HUP it works neatly on
> > 100Mbit. (The hup is a cheap Lanpro 10/100, the cabling is Cat5.)
>
> Hub not hup.
>
> Instead of disconnect/reconnect of the cable for me the following works
> in /etc/rc.local on the obnoxious Axp:

It sounds like Rene's hub won't switch once it's set the port type.
Adding "media 100BaseTX" to the original ifconfig parameters may (or
may not) take care of this problem.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com