Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 16:31:23 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fully Dedicated HD may clobber some BIOS'

> #define quoting(Mike Smith)
> // >     I may have spoken slightly incorrectly.  Perhaps to be more accurate,
> // > it's the bios not allowing the drive to recognize due to the lack or valid
> // > fdisk partitions ....  My apologies for wasting everyone else's time.  I
> // > have personally experienced this with my HP vectra's at work.
> //
> // Again, it's not the "lack or valid fdisk partitions", it's the bogus
> // information inserted by "dangerously dedicated".
> //
> // The solution is simple; DO NOT use "dangerously dedicated" mode.  At
> // all.  Ever.
>
> Why not wipe it out, then ?  Is there any advantage ?

Lots of people have asked this; there are a couple of reasons.

 - The last time I proposed this, I received responses from a number of
   people indicating that the option was popular.  It sounds as though
   at least some of its supporters like it for the "no microsoft"
   overtones, others just like the percieved convenience.

 - It was introduced to solve a problem (difficulty in extracting BIOS
   geometry information).  When the disk layout doesn't confuse the
   BIOS, it does actually do this.  We have a better dedicated mode
   ('truly dedicated', or 'disklabel auto' mode), but it doesn't
   fit well with libdisk.  Working on libdisk is difficult.

So the first reason is somewhat political.  I'm not sure whether the
tradeoff would be good or not.  The second is merely a matter of
solving the technical issues, which just takes (free) time.