Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:07:11 -0800
From:      dan@ns1.wolf.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        pirate@wolf.com
Subject:   Re: "wd0: interrupt timeout:" meaning?

> I don't think this means that your drive is dying.  The status is
> correct; about the only obvious thing is that it's asserting drq, a
> DMA request.  2.2.8 doesn't support DMA; I see two possibilities:
>
> 1.  The BIOS is setting the drive up to run in DMA mode, and things
>     aren't working so well because the system doesn't handle it.
>
> 2.  The 'dma' status is noise, and your IDE controller has missed an
>     interrupt.
>
> How often does this happen?  Does the drive work at all?  Has it ever
> worked?  Can you specify DMA mode in your BIOS?

It just started happening today, and has only happened a couple
of times.  The drive appears to still be working.  I get a little
paranoid about this system, as it's in nothern CA and I'm in
southern CA, about 500 miles away.  Since I'm hosting a lot
of virtual web domains on this machine, it's super crucial that
it run reliably.  I just put this box on line last week, replacing
a Pentium 150 with 128 MB RAM running FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP-9808something.

I don't remember whether the BIOS supports DMA mode - next time
I'm in NorCal working on the beasty I'll check it out.  It sounds
like I need to keep watching the logs, and if I see this message
show up more often I'll get worried about it; if not, then I'll
remain cool and trust that it's not about to fall over.

Thanks for the explanation.  It helps calm my nerves a bunch.

Dan Mahoney
dan@wolf.com