Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:53:26 -0800
From:      Lars Poulsen <lpoulsen@utilicom.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange NFS Problem

At 04:44 PM 2/8/99 -0500, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> First - I'm dying to know what application is only available for FreeBSD!
>(That's a good sign!)

This is a network simulation package, which uses the kernel interface to allow
interaction with devices on the real network. Pretty cool stuff!

> Second - when you say NFS mounts from an HP-UX system, do you mean
>HP-UX <-> LINUX    or     HP <-> FreeBSD?

The file system resides on Linux (RedHat 5.2).
A HP-UX system imports it and can read and write correctly.
FreeBSD fails to write (but creates empty files).

> Third - I believe there were some NFS bugs in the 2.2.x branch that
>were not fixed.  (Seems like I saw that mentioned on the -hackers list)
>When 3.1 comes out (next week?) you might consider upgrading to that.

I scanned the GNATS database and didn't find anything relevant.
I have read some of the correspondence, and it looks like the upgrade
from 2.2.x to 3.1 is going to be painful; I was hoping to put it off.

/ Lars Poulsen                  E-mail:    <lpoulsen@utilicom.com>
  Senior Software Engineer      Telephone: +1-805-964-5848 ext 279
  UtiliCom Inc, 323 David Love Place, Santa Barbara, CA 93117, USA