Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:40:38 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/gcc/config/i386 freebsd.h src/sys/sys param.h

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 02:05:16AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > >    contrib/gcc/config/i386 freebsd.h
> > >  Log:
> > >  Set __FreeBSD_cc_version for 3.1
> >
> > This is bogus.   FreeBSD's version of cc didn't change.
>
> According to rev 1.21, "change the numbering scheme of
> __FreeBSD_cc_version.  Its form is now like __FreeBSD_version, with the
> FreeBSD revision in the top digits."

I don't think we should bounce this unless it is necessary (ie, change
it when there are changes in cc, and at that point include the FreeBSD
revision in the top digits).  The only benefit I can see in bouncing
it otherwise is if somebody forget to bounce it when they do changes.

It might be a Good Thing to tag the CC sources each time the revision
number is bounced; that way, we could do a 'cvs diff' on release, to
check for people that forget it...

Eivind.