Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:27:26 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install -C

> > I've talked to people on IRC who deleted their Elf interpreter because
> > its mtime predated their last make world. Shooting yourself in the
> > foot like that is too high a price for the few seconds saved during
> > make installworld.
>
> Dr., Dr., it hurts when I do this.
>
> Then *DON'T* do it.
>
> If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do stupid things.  I
> think the defaults should stay the way they are, because there are very
> valid reasons for using 'install -C' on the special files described.

I was present during at least some of these conversations.  If these
people hadn't deleted their ELF interpreters, they'd just have found
some other way to screw themselves.  We're seeing the manifestation of
some millenial lemmings with the impending a.out->ELF finality; just
carry an umbrella strong enough to resist small furry bodies at
terminal velocity and all will be well.