Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:44:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inode / exec_map interlock ? (Ask the authors)

Matthew Dillon said:
> :>
> :I don't know what you are trying to do in your code, but there is alot of
> :history of problems in that area.  I suspect that you might be making one of
> :the mistakes that we used to do, and there is a resource deadlock problem in
> :that area.
>
>     ???  I'm not making any mistakes as far as I can tell.  I haven't touched
>     the locking in the map code.
>
>     John, please... you have to get out of the habit of assuming that
>     everything is my fault.  Either that or read the email more carefully.

I didn't say that.  I ask that you try to COMMUNICATE with people, and not
assume that we (the developers of the VM code) don't know about VM code.  You
asked a question about code running with YOUR version of the existing
VM code, and make the assumption that it is a bug in the existing codebase,
and perhaps it is abuse of the existing codebase.  There are some difficult
to properly handle problems associated with certain portions of the code,
and you are welcome to communicate with DG, me or others if you need help.

Without a review process of YOUR version of our VM code, we cannot tell what
is going on.  If the code isn't reviewed, then it will need to be.

>     I believe this to be a long standing bug, not something new.  It just
>     happens to be rather hard to reproduce, is all.

Yep, it is an issue of the exec_map being a limited resource (if it is the
problem that I remember.)  DG is more of the exec_map person (with the
image-activators.)  It is easy to prove the deadlock.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid