Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:17:08 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Usernames longer than 8 characters?

At 09.52 26/02/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE. That version allows me to put usernames no
>longer than 8 characters. Now with the new versions of FreeBSD I can have as
>many as you need.
>
>I saw the "Make your own World" upgrading tutorial and I got scared. My
>server is the authentication server for my 1500 clients and mistaking would
>be fatal.
>
>There is another way of upgrading that part of usernames longer than 8
>charac.

Uhm... yes there is but it is not more than an hack. And you can have
incompatibilities with some programs. So beware.

I think the upgrade is the better solution. Also a more better solution is
to prepare another HD with FreeBSD 3.1 on it and the migrate only the
necessary files. Then a quick swap can solve all your problems.

I know it is an expensive solution, but perhaps it the only way to do
things without having troubles at all.

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it