Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:39:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        nsouch@teaser.fr (Nicolas Souchu)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CALL FOR TESTERS of new ATA/ATAPI driver..

It seems Nicolas Souchu wrote:

> What would you think of parallel port devices? Would it be easy
> to make the new ATAPI stuff work with ppbus? I especially think
> about the HP7200 CD-RW which has certainly hard real-time constraints
> to burn a CD.

Hmm, you have any docs on how to talk to such a beast ?? Does
it use the "tailgate" protocol I've seen references to ??
It should be possible to make the system support multiple
HW interface backends, although it will have some major impact
on the current code, I think it could be worth it if there is
a standard to follow.

> >It doesn't have the excessive wait problem on probe, in fact you
> >shouldn't notice any delay when your devices are getting probed.
> >
> >Probing and attaching of devices are postponed until interrupts
> >are enabled (well almost, not finished yet for disks), making
> >things alot cleaner.
>
> Really good work. I'll give it a try this week-end.

Thanks, and let me now how it works out..

-Søren