Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 17:17:04 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

At 02:20 PM 3/4/99 -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:

>There is a diversity, and the "party" needs to be inclusive.  Is
>FreeBSD the republicans of the free software industry?

Hear, hear!

>Some people communicate with zeal.  I am one of the few people
>(it seems) that loves to discuss religion and politics with
>people in person.  It doesn't degrade into hatred, but sometimes
>becomes "animated."  Not everyone is made from the same formula.

Strongly agree. That's the reason I advocate having four PR teams
with different foci and approaches. Someone who has a broad perspective
and is a good communicator can help to coordinate these teams to
make sure that every team that can make a positive difference is
present in a given venue. For example, at a trade show, all of the
teams would be out in force; however, in an online forum, (1) and (2)
should be represented.

>One of my favorite co-workers was a very leftist (communist)
>person from India.  He probably doesn't realize that I appreciate
>him so much (it has been years ago when I worked with him.)  I
>am right of center and am still tolerant.  Please be tolerant and
>support people who might have a style different than the
>provincial view that all of us tend to create for ourselves.

Absolutely. Here's what I propose: Let's solicit members for the
four teams, and get a leader for each. Let's then appoint a coordinator
(or "opportunity seeker") whose job is to identify opportunities
for advocacy and make sure those teams are alerted to them and show up.
We can then take ADVANTAGE of the different styles and points of view by
leveraging them all.

--Brett Glass