Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:06:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, stanb@awod.com
Subject:   Re: SOCKS

>Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 16:27:44 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com>

>	I find myself behind a corporate firewall. It is a SOCKS based proxy
>	server. So far all I have been able to make work is Netscape! How can I
>	make ftp, telnet and ping work from behind this firewall?

>	Pointers to info greatly appreciated.

Last time I worked with SOCKS, it was SOCKS 4 (SOCKS 5 was in beta, at
best; this was a few years ago).  At that time, there were some client
programs that were provided with the SOCKS sources for FTP, TELNET, and
WHOIS clients.  (They were "rftp", "rtelnet", and "rwhois", respectively.)

I believe I've heard that with SOCKS 5, there's a way to dynamically
"SOCKSify" just about any executable; since I haven't used it, though, I
don't have much information on it.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621