Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:20:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>, Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet -- what am I doing wrong?

:>     cannot be done.  So routing a single packet requires the data to flow
:>     over the PCI bus twice.  The 132 MBytes/sec become 66 MBytes/sec right
:>     off the bat.
:
:I am not sure that I can follow you here . Most PCI cards which are capable of
:doing dma to the host system's memory can do card - to - card transfer
:;however,
:the target "card" most be able to use the stored data in the case of a network
:card it must have memory to receive the pack or a very elaborate protocol
:to accept short dma bursts which it can then process.
:
:
:	Amancio

    You can always do a card-to-card transfer, but since most modern network
    cards do *NOT* have on-card memory doing a card-to-card transfer typically
    doesn't work.  For example, if the destination card hits a collision/retry,
    the source card's FIFO can overflow.

    It just doesn't work.

    Using a card as a DMA destination only works well for cards that map
    memory, such as a video card.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>