Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:36:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, des@flood.ping.uio.no, dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

Kevin Day wrote,
> The only thing that has worked for me, where in a client configuration like
> that that *will* recover from an nfs server reboot is setting '-d'. (Dumb
> Timer). It will essentially disable the timeout code, which is where half of
> FreeBSD's nfs problems are, i believe.

But are most of the problems people have with NFS really isolated to
FreeBSD's implamentation? I have seen my share of NFS-weirdness on our
IRIXes[0]. My favorite one being that on a group of machines that are
brought down and up with some frequency, they must be brought up and
down in the correct order. Now bringing them up in order is one thing,
but its a pain when one refuses to shut down gracefully when one of
the others has gone down before it.

[0] Not that IRIX is a model of network stability.