Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:17:31 -0400
From:      Natty Rebel <dervish@ikhala.tcimet.net>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lastest ATA/ATAPI driver boots with kernel.debug only.

Hello Soren and other -current users,
I've used your new ATA/ATAPI driver flawlessly through the 4th version.
I was not able to get past the 'changing root device to wd0s1a' message
with version 5, so I just went back to the wd driver.  Last nigh I tried
version 6 and ran into the same problem.  I finally decided to do a little
investigating.  First I found that I could do a 'ctrl-alt-del' to reboot.
I then decided to install the debug kernel doing a 'make install.debug'
in my kernel build directory.  Lo! and behold! to my surprise my box
booted flawlessly.  The questions I have are

1) Why did the debug kernel boot and not the kernel without debug symbols?
2) What procedures/tools should I use to investigate this further?

Of course any help/pointers are appreciated ...

Thanxs.

#;^)
i'khala
--