Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 19:36:33 -0700
From:      Conrad Minshall <conrad@apple.com>
To:        wsanchez@apple.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        warner.c@apple.com
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

At 6:59 PM -0700 4/28/99, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

>  Hold on there... We ain't dropping the Mac OS thing. We're using the
>NeXT bundle strategy in Mac OS X Server, because there we use UFS. Mac OS
>X will have HFS+ which gives us named attributes on any file, and we'll
>probably make heavy use of that, as before. Both work pretty well. I do
>think the NeXT thing suits BSD a lot better, because it fits the Unix
>model nicely, and you don't have HFS+ support (yet). Certainly you can't
>count on everyone using HFS+.

BTW "named attributes" (aka named forks, aka named streams, etc) are not
only in HFS+.  They are in UDF, in NTFS, and in the current NFS V4 draft.
So on my wish-list is a VFS layer to transparently provide them over UFS.

--
Conrad Minshall ... conrad@apple.com ... 408 974-2749
Apple Computer ... Mac OS X Core Operating Systems ... Filesystems & Kernel