Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 15:14:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing from a UFS partition.

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Andrew McNaughton wrote:

> I have a large IDE drive which I want to set up with 3.2-RELEASE.  I had
> problems on a network install - it seemed to be working, but when I went to
> boot up the new system it came up with the boot selection, but would not boot,
> just giving me a beep whenever I pressed a function key (or any other).

This happens if boot0 can't figure out how to boot the selected partition,
which is usually caused by geometry problems.

If you don't have another partition on the disk you're trying to boot, you
can just delete the boot manager by running FDISK /MBR from DOS.

In the meantime you can get around it by booting the MFS floppy to the
Boot: prompt, then type 'wd(0,a)' (assuming you have an IDE disk).

> I tried a second time with the same result.  Not wanting to wait for
> for a complete download through a modem each time, I went into fixit
> mode and FTP'ed the bin distribution onto the last partition on the
> drive.
>
> I've tried going in to fixit mode in order to mount the partition with
> the bin dist, so I can install from it, but this appears to get
> clobbered when I exit the fixit shell.  I've had a go at doing it
> manually, and managed to extract the bin distribution using the tools
> on the fixit disk (cat | ungzip | tar).  This looks like it's
> installed the system, but the boot loader is still not getting as far
> as displaying the kernel loading help screen.

If you have a FAT partition on the disk, you can copy the file off of
that.

Doug White