Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 17:02:44 -0500
From:      Joe Nall <joe@nall.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Full filesystem

Kevin Day wrote:

> > spork wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We're running a news server that does a "rolling expire", so it is capable
> > > of keeping the drives 99% full (31GB) 24/7.  We have two 34G ccd arrays,
> > > so even bumping down one percent is kind of a waste of space.  Since newfs
> > > gives a buffer zone for safety (you can fill the fs to 105% or so), I want
> > > to keep usage up above the warning zone.
> > I'm not an expert on this filesystem, but on other filesystems that
> > extra 5-10% is used by the filesystem to minimize fragmentation. On
> > HP-UX there is a definite performance impact when this is made too
> > small. Can a filesystem guru clue us in on the right rule of thumb? Is
> > it 10% or is there a particular total size (e.g. 500mb) above which the
> > extra space is wasted? I'm going to do some big raids this summer and 5%
> > of 100+GB starts to add up.
> >

> To quote 'tunefs'
>
>      -m minfree
>              This value specifies the percentage of space held back from nor-
>              mal users; the minimum free space threshold.  The default value
>              used is 8%.  This value can be set to zero, however up to a fac-
>              tor of three in throughput will be lost over the performance ob-
>              tained at a 10% threshold. Settings of 5% and less force space
>              optimization to always be used which will greatly increase the
>              overhead for file writes.
That is not really what I was looking for. To reword the question: Is
there some file system reserve above which the percentage based
mechanism just wastes disk space?  Is there is a measurable difference
in performance between a 50GB file system with a 2.6GB reserve and a 5GB
reserve? Does file size distribution impact reserve requirements?

Cheers,
Joe