Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:43:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Antal Ritter <antalr@mail.dunapack.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnat for FreeBSD 3.1?

Antal Ritter writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm back... :-(.
 >
 > On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 04:15:27PM +0200, M. L. Dodson wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > adding a gnat package.  You might try looking for a package on
 > > one of the European mirrors, then doing a pkg_add.  Then you
 > > should be able to bootstrap into the ports version (if it differs
 > > from that of the package).  Theoretically, that is. ;-)
 >
 > Thanks for the help. I finally found a gnat package for 2.2.8
 > ( I don't exactly know why I was not able to find it earlier...
 > I tried to find a package, but probably I was not dedicated enough :-). )
 >
 > I installed it, and the port is now not broken... But it does not
 > work either. If I understand it well then this binary distribution
 > is for aout, and I have an elf system. I am getting the
 > messages from ld that there's no /usr/lib/crt0.o file, which is
 > true. I installed the compat22 package, but it does not help.
 >
 > I tried to search the list archives for a solution, but I could
 > not find anything I coud do.
 >
 > Somebody suggested for a similar problem to copy the static libraries
 > from a 2.2.8 system, but I don't have one.
 >
 > Is there anything I can do? Is it possible that on another mirror
 > somewhere I would find a package for elf systems? Or I need to get
 > something from a 2.2.8 distribution? Or I'm completely misunderstood
 > something and I have everything I need, just can't see it?

I got around a problem that was somewhat similar (the port only
worked for aout, not elf, and I was using a 3.x-STABLE system)
like this:

pop a new /bin/sh, then do this:

OBJFORMAT=aout
export OBJFORMAT
make

This will, if it works at all, get you an aout version.  If you
can tolerate that maybe this is sufficient.  But as to how to
bootstrap from aout to elf in your circumstances, I haven't a
real good clue.  The problem would seem to be that you need to
get an elf version of the patched gcc that gnat uses.

Is there easily available source for the patched gcc?  If so, you
could maybe just compile it up with the regular gcc, then install
it by hand.  That probably won't work as that was probably what
the port was trying to do, and it is known to be broken.

Would it be possible to just use a Linux rpm + the Linux
development environment (gag!)?

Bud Dodson

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790