Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:47:43 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Paul D. Schmidt" <pds@uberhacker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD can't boot from second partition

"Paul D. Schmidt" wrote:

> Hello, I installed FreeBSD as the second partition on my laptop, then
> installed OSBS Beta as reccomended by several FreeBSD users on IRC.
> However, when I select FreeBSD in OSBS, it says No Operating System and won't
> let me boot.  When I used FreeBSD's boot manager, whenever I pressed F2 it
> just hung.  Is it because my FreeBSD partition starts above cylinder 1024
> of the hard drive?

	Yes.

>  Win98 is 11GB and then FreeBSD comes after that with 2GB
> ...  Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should set this up?  I need both
> partitions as one contiguous block if possible, and I know Windows has to be
> the first partition on the drive.

	Why do you need them in one block? In any case, it won't work that way, so
you are out of luck. What I've done in the past is:

700M partition for windows system
X meg partition for freebsd
rest of disk for windows data

	This works well, and the only disadvantage is that you now have a D: to
deal with in windows. I know have enough disks that I just give each OS its
own, but if you can't do that then the above will work for you.

Good luck,

Doug