Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:51:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3cxm556+nokia

"Nate Williams wrote:"

> > I'm doing some traveling in the northen US and eastern
> > Canada with my FreeBSD laptop, a 3cxm556 modem, and
> > an AT&T Nokia 6160 cell phone.  I'm having various
> > difficulties making and keeping connections.  So
> > far I am using tip with an arcane dialing sequence,
> > and screen [-r] to resume interrupted sessions.
>
> Make sure you are setting up hardware handshaking in the modem
> connection, as well as setting up hardware handshaking in something like
 /etc/rc.serial for the line (after it comes up).

I think I have that set up OK.  The interruptions are coming
from esoteric modem negociation problems, I think.  The
modem card asks for retrains and eventually the modem on
the other end won't do one.  Or the cellular connection
gets very bad or goes away.  One question is, what is the
best kind of modem to use on the other end of a cellular
connection?  I understand that a cellular-specific protocol
called ETC will help, and I know that my old Zoom modem
doesn't grok it.  What modems do?  How much does it help?

-Greg